Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Earthworm Cocoons

I am still waiting for my Encapsulated Earthworm Cocoons to arrive from Gardens Alive. They did such a good job marketing these things that they were swamped with orders. Mine should arrive any day now. Meanwhile, if you want to find out more about them, here is the source. It's an intriguing idea to plant worm cocoons the way you'd plant a seed. I'll let you know how it works out when mine arrive.

The Earthworm Food I ordered from Gardens Alive seems to be a big hit. Now, as I've said before, there's no need to buy special food for your worms. They will eat your garbage and be happy about it. I mostly bought this food as a lark--I thought I'd see how the worms in my bin liked it--and sure enough, it disappears quickly and seems to encourage the worms to spread all over the bin and reproduce. I'd just started a new bin with a few shovelfuls of worms from my other bins, and feeding them this food did seem to get them moving around and eating in a hurry.

Now I'm going to try another experiment--I'm going to bury some of this earthworm food in the garden and return in a few days to see if it attracted worms. Stay tuned for further developments.