Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Worms in Entertainment Weekly

So I’m going to depart from my usual reticence to talk about reviews and other PR-related book issues (Reason: seems self-indulgent and silly) and tell you that there is a review of The Earth Moved in the February 6 issue of Entertainment Weekly.

Yep.

We went down to Safeway and there it was on the rack, with a bright shiny Oscar on the cover. It’s even a Special Collector’s Double Issue. My review’s on page 155. In case you’ve never read the reviews in EW, I should tell you that they assign grades.

I got a B.

The next logical step was to call my dad and tell him that I got a B from Entertainment Weekly. Without missing a beat, he said, “Well honey, I’m not mad. I’m just disappointed. I know you can do the work. I know you’ll pull that grade up next semester.”

Before we hung up, he said, “I’m sorry about that B. But remember, I’m your dad…”

I actually got those report-card chills when he said it. Geez. Am I thirty-four or seven?

More on Hans Jenny, Godfather of Soil Conservation, tomorrow, and more on nightcrawlers, which… (in response to comments), are European and not native to the U.S..