Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Worms as Food

As much as I dislike the whole topic of worms as food, I feel it is my responsibility as perhaps the sole worm blogger in the blogosphere to pass on earthworm news when I get it. This latest story out of southwest Iowa reports on a website offering recipes that are easy to prepare in the outdoors.

Yep, you guessed it. In the Emergency Survival Food category, once you get past some pleasant and innocuous recipes for berry pudding and honeysuckle nectar, there it is, between the creamed grasshopper and the bee soup: Earthworm spaghetti. Prep time is just two minutes (the time it takes to boil 10-15 worms to death), plus however long it takes to dig the worms.
“Tastes good,” the recipe’s author Kevin writes. “Kind of like fish.” Kevin, I'm going to take your word on that. Now, didn't somebody remember to pack a Cliff Bar?